Dear School of the Osage Students, Families, and Community-
The resounding sound around the district this week is a sigh of relief that winter has finally decided to give us a break from the unexpected two week break. I am pleased to report that- for the most part -students and staff were able to utilize all the plans in place and the resources available to keep learning moving forward in the face of snow and ice. That said, we are nearing the completion of the third academic quarter, and it is critical students stay on track for a strong finish in May. To help with this, the quarterly make-up Monday is scheduled for March 8. Please take this opportunity to take up this matter with your student and ensure all work is completed and submitted.
Beyond the weather, several other things have been going on. At this week’s School of the Osage Board of Education, the four day school week framework for the 21-22 school year was approved. This is essentially a continuation of the schedule we are on this year- without the dedicated distance learning Mondays. (Distance learning processes will be with us all henceforth- but we are simply going to work to leverage what we’ve learned and embed these processes in other ways.) Now that the framework has been approved, the next step is the approval of a full academic calendar with start and end dates and times, as well as holidays. This will be an agenda item at the March 8, 2021 meeting.
On Saturday, I sent a safety update alerting families to a concern that arose stemming from a threat by a juvenile student. These types of communications are upsetting to read. As a parent myself, I always want more information as it pertains to my children and their well-being. I empathize deeply with those of you who found the lack of details in that email aggravating; however, please know I share as much as I can whenever possible. Currently, there is no additional news to share at this time. The safety of our students and staff is at the center of all that we do, and we will continue to keep you in the loop on this issue and others whenever we are able to do so.
As ever, please do not hesitate to call me or a member of the team, if you have questions or I can otherwise be of assistance.
- Courtwarming coronation is tonight between the JV & Varsity basketball game against Southern Boone. Click here for the most up to date information regarding athletics/activities.
- Youth Soccer Camps are on the calendar. Click here for dates and more information.
- To check out another of our excellent Osage seniors -click here.
- OHS Theatre production of The Curious Savage will be moved to March 11 & 12 at 7:00 pm -for more information, click here.
- Check out our COVID dashboard by clicking here.
- Only a few days left to complete the Osage Cares February Mindfulness Challenge Interactive BINGO Board. Click here to submit your entry for a prize drawing.
- Yes. We are definitely having Punga (Prom). We are working on the details, and we are committed to making this important tradition happen. We hope to have the date to you by next week’s update.
Dr. Laura Nelson
*Indian Support Hotline:
573-552-8878 or [email protected]
Additional Community Support Resources:
Hope House Food Pantry at (573) 365-0099
Camden County Community Assistance Hotline at (573) 346-6145
Miller County Community Assistance Hotline at (573) 692-0426