Dear School of the Osage Students, Families, and Community-
Osage students are ending this year strong. The national news seems intent on delivering a narrative that doesn’t begin to tell the story that has been our shared experience locally. And at the end of the day, that is ok. They can get it wrong out there. Because here in mid-Missouri, our students are living a better story. This was a collective effort: OUR STAFF worked endlessly, and OUR COMMUNITY supported tirelessly to ensure that OUR STUDENTS did not have their schools closed, their seasons canceled, or their rites of passage otherwise postponed. Together with you, we advanced the cause of Osage Scholarship and success. THANK YOU! I encourage you to check out this Osage Scholars video for an inspiring reminder of why all of this matters so very much.
- The most recent episode of our district tour can be found here. Check out the New Field House.
- Check out another of our excellent Osage seniors by clicking here.
- A few months ago, OMS choirs were given an opportunity to perform virtually with the American Pops Orchestra for the upcoming PBS concert broadcast of We Are Family: Songs of Hope and Unity. The concert will be broadcast on May 14 at 9:00p.m. (Check your local listings for the full PBS schedule.) There will be over 70 OMS choir students grades 6-8 featured in the final song "We Are Family" https://www.pbs.org/video/
- May 1st was School Principals Day, this week is Teacher Appreciation and tomorrow is School Lunch Hero Day. We are so thankful for all SOTO staff! Please take a minute to recognize a staff member who has carried out School of the Osage's mission here.
- The Tech Office is requesting all technology items (iPads, Accessories and Hotspots) to be returned at the end of this school year for inventory and maintenance purposes. The following items will be collected from your child during a home room period in their building: iPads, chargers (block and cord), cases, keyboards (if equipped), and hotspots (if assigned) on the following dates: Heritage - May 19, UE - May 18, MS - May 20, HS - May 21. For Launch and Virtual programs, please return devices between May 17 - 21, May 24 - 28 at any of the school offices.
- Summer School will be June 1- 25 (Tuesday - Friday), 8:00 am -12:30 pm. Summer School Online Registration is open! Click here to register and click here to learn about summer learning opportunities.
- Click here for more information on the Osage Cares May Wellness Challenge and how you can participate.
- This week is National Children’s Mental Health Awareness- dedicated to increasing public awareness about successes and challenges in children’s mental health. You can find a number of resources, toolkits and events focused on Children’s Mental Health Awareness Week from both the Missouri Department of Mental Health and the Missouri Chapter of the National Alliance of Mental Illness.
- Mental Health First Aid teaches you how to identify, understand and respond to signs of mental illnesses and substance abuse disorders. With our outstanding community partners, courses are free! Click here for more information and to get signed up with the Missouri Institute of Mental Health; or click here to sign up for a Mental Health First Aid course with Lake Regional Health Systems.
- You can find our COVID dashboard by clicking here.
- Osage High School will host graduation on Thursday, May 13th at the stadium beginning at 7:00 pm. For additional up-to-date information on athletics and activities, click here for the SOTO Fan Plan. And don’t forget to mark your calendars for the annual Free Physical Night on Wednesday, May 12th from 3:30 to 6:30 pm.
Dr. Laura Nelson
*Indian Support Hotline:
573-552-8878 or [email protected]
Additional Community Support Resources:
Hope House Food Pantry at (573) 365-0099
Camden County Community Assistance Hotline at (573) 346-6145
Miller County Community Assistance Hotline at (573) 692-0426