Dear School of the Osage Students, Families, and Community-
The School of the Osage is pleased to be the recipient of Hazard Mitigation Grant Funding from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) for a community safe room. The proposed safe room will be located behind the School of the Osage Middle School at 636 Highway 42 and will have a safe capacity of 563 persons. The district was awarded a total of $1,365,000 of federal and non-federal funds toward the facility.
When not being used during storm emergencies, the facility will function as classroom space, meeting location, locker rooms for both boys and girls soccer, visitors locker room, middle school wrestling practice facility, coaches offices, training room, and an officials changing area. Furthermore, the facility will also include guest restrooms, concessions area, and storage. Plans are still receiving final approval from the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) and construction is slated to begin in the summer of 2022 with an estimated 12-14 month construction period. Click here to see a rendering of the facility.
I am also delighted to share information about all the ways we will be celebrating Veterans Day next week. Click here for more information; we hope you can attend! These events mark our return to in school assemblies, and we are really looking forward to extending gratitude to those brave men and women who have served and are serving our country.
- Please note, Monday, November 8, 2021 is not an Extended Learning Day. If you have any questions, please contact Kim Edwards, [email protected] or click here for more information.
- Update your calendars -the next OFP 5 Tribes meeting is rescheduled for Thursday, December 2nd at 12:30 pm at the OHS Fieldhouse or via zoom. Click here on how to connect via zoom.
- The middle school is looking for gently used Osage gear! Our most needed sizes are adult sizes M-2XL. We use these for any students who need them for PE or just for spirit wear. Please drop off or send to the middle school office.
- The 34th Annual Senior Citizens’ Banquet will be Thursday, November 18th at the Osage High School. To reserve your seat at the banquet, please call the high school office at 573-348-0115. Click here for more information.
- OHS Theatre presents: All Shook Up. Show dates/times are November 18-20 at 7:00 pm at Cummings Auditorium. For more information and to purchase tickets, click here.
- The 41st Annual Holiday Bazaar will be held at the middle school gym on Saturday, December 4 from 9 am - 3 pm. Over 100 booths of homemade crafts & decor, jewelry, clothes and other specialty holiday items such as personalized ornaments. For more information click here.
- The Turkey Trot Walk-A-Thon is one of the primary fundraisers for Heritage Elementary and will be this Saturday, November 6th from 1 - 3 pm at SOTO High School Football Field. Click here for more information and how to register.
- TAKE IT TO THE MAT! November 8th, & 9th will be a Mini Wrestling clinic with help from the High School Wrestlers from 6:00-7:30 followed by a chance to watch a tournament starring our Osage Wrestling Club wrestlers to see what they have learned! The tournament will be November 11th @6:30! The cost is $20, please sign up ONLINE! https://forms.gle/
- Osage Cares would like you to participate in the 2nd Quarter Wellness Challenge. Click here for more information on how to set an attainable personal wellness goal and work to achieve it! Also, check out first quarter winners.
- If history repeats itself, inclement weather is indeed a possibility moving forward into the near future. The first six such inclement weather days at SOTO will be instructional days through distance learning. Students in our in-person classes will attend classes via zoom and Canvas. Students in our virtual program will not notice a difference in the day. Click here to access the current year student calendar. In the event of inclement weather, notifications will be sent to families via robocall, text message, on our school website and social media outlets, and local news stations.
- Don’t forget that you can access our partners at the COMC clinic located next to the football field. Already the conveniently located clinic has been utilized by students, their families, and our staff for so many health issues, including immunizations, sports physicals, minor injuries, illnesses, and COVID testing and more. To make an appointment call 573-552-8852.
- For the up-to-date COVID dashboard, please click here. Please remember that one of the most important things you can do to help us is to keep your student at home if she or he is sick. Thank you so much for your willingness to help us with this challenge.
- You can easily access event information by clicking here for the Osage Fan Plan.
- If you are in need of assistance of any type, please reach out- we have a variety of resources available and/or can connect you with other organizations. Contact us via our Indian Support Hotline at 573-552-8878 or [email protected].
Dr. Laura Nelson
*Indian Support Hotline:
573-552-8878 or [email protected]
Additional Community Support Resources:
Hope House Food Pantry at (573) 365-0099
Camden County Community Assistance Hotline at (573) 346-6145
Miller County Community Assistance Hotline at (573) 692-0426