Dear School of the Osage Students, Families, and Community-
As you may be aware our district has four core values: Tradition, Opportunity, Innovation, and Strength. Students in the OHS Tech Tribe have created a video highlighting STRENGTH and what it means to students and staff at Osage. The video provides interviews, quotes, and many photos- you are almost guaranteed to see someone you know if you check it out here.
The core value of tradition is also near and dear to the hearts of many. Over the years, the school district has been approached by various groups interested in donating something to memorialize their time at Osage. To name a few examples, we’ve heard from people representing class reunions, families who want to create endowments, those wishing to honor a loved one, and graduating classes. As such, the topic of legacy recognition has a history of discussion by the School of the Osage Board of Education. At this week’s board of education meeting, the board voted to create an ad hoc committee (composed of BOE members, staff, students, and alumni) to develop a proposal for a systematic approach to recognize gifts and donations made in memorial and/or recognition. If you are interested in serving on this committee, please email Lana McPheeters ([email protected]) by April 4th. The goal is to have a plan in place by August.
- This week’s glimpse into Every Day Excellence at Osage focuses on the Always Osage Heartbeat Initiative which brings awareness and support around issues connected to mental and emotional health. This initiative promotes a philosophy of less judgment and more kindness. You can learn more about it in this video. If you would like to purchase an Always Osage t-shirt please email Lori Henley at: [email protected].
- Ms. Moore’s 3rd grade class…Best Pet Show Ever….click here
- The U.S. Department of Agriculture Secretary Vilsack delivered an address about USDA Actions on Nutrition Security. Congress did not see fit to extend the waivers for the school year 2022-2023 to allow all students to eat free. What we know now is that these waivers that were available in SY 21-22 will not be extended. The U.S. Food and Nutrition Services is looking for ways to provide some degree of flexibility, but it will not allow all kids to eat for free. Our team will be looking for ways to work around and offer resources to many of the challenges as you prepare for SY 22-23.
- The next All Tribes meeting is scheduled for next Thursday, April 7, 2022 at 12:30 pm. We will be meeting in the commons of the fieldhouse next to the high school football field and via zoom. Click here for information on how to connect with us.
- School will be in session Monday, April 4 and Monday, April 11 due to the snow makeup days. All buses will run at their normal times.
- Effective April 1, School of the Osage patrons will not experience a service fee when utilizing a credit card for payments. Service fees will be assessed for the month of March. If a fee is charged for lunch payments, made through My School Bucks during the month of March, we will apply the fee portion back to the lunch account as a credit. If a fee is charged for a paid invoice, dues, etc., we will issue a refund by check at the end of March. Please contact accounts payable with any questions.
- School of the Osage is in the process of deactivating our legacy hotspot program that began in April of 2020. All existing US Cellular hotspots will be deactivated as of March 31, 2022. We will still be providing Internet service through US Cellular, but it will take place under a new model, which utilizes the cellular modem in the new iPads distributed to staff and students. IMPORTANT: If you would like to maintain your current service or request new service, you must fill out this form. ***Please note, service is to be provided to families who are unable to receive adequate internet service at home in order to complete homework or online learning. This can include (but is not limited to) submission of assignments and participating in class Zoom. Click here for more information.
- April marks the Month of the Military Child. To show support for military service members and their children, please join us April 14 for Purple Up day and wear purple to support our military children. The color purple represents all branches of the military; it is the combination of each of their respective colors combined into one.
- Click here for the board approved 2022-2023 Academic Student Calendar. The first day of classes is August 23, 2022. The last day of classes is May 26, 2023.
- Check out another of our excellent Osage seniors by clicking here.
- Kindergarten Registration will be April 1st & April 8th by appointment. Parents may register online here or by calling Heritage Elementary 573-365-5341. Click here for more information.
- Summer School will be June 7 - June 30, 2022 from 8 am - 3:00 pm (Tuesdays - Fridays). Online registration links will be available this Friday, April 1st. Click here for more information.
- Extended Learning will be offered after school in June for students in grades K - 6th. Our K - 2 graders will be at Heritage Elementary and our 3 - 6 graders will be at the Upper Elementary. Extended Learning will begin on June 7th and offered Tuesdays - Fridays from 3:00 to 6:00 pm. There will be two Mondays offered (June 13th & 27th) from 7:30am to 6:00pm. Extended Learning on these Mondays will be parent drop off and pickups. If you would like your student(s) to attend the Extended Learning program in June, please enroll your student(s) when registering for summer school.
- As part of SOTO’s course offerings, high school students have the option to take classes at the Lake Career and Technical Center (LCTC). An online course request form must be completed by March 31, 2022. Click here for more information.
- The COMC Mobile Dental Unit is scheduled to be on the high school campus starting April 11. If you would like your student to receive dental services please fill out these consent forms and return to your child's school by April 8th. If we do not have at least ten students signed up to receive services, we will need to cancel the mobile dental unit for this school year. Please contact Lori Henley with any questions at 573-365-4091.
- Your School of the Osage Wellness Team would like to encourage you to participate in the Osage Cares 4th Quarter Wellness Challenge. This quarter, you have the opportunity to set your own personalized goal to cultivate your wellness. Click here for ideas and more information to get you started on your quarterly wellness goal. Once you’ve achieved your quarterly wellness goal (at the end of the quarter), please fill in the Google Form here.
- For the COVID dashboard, please click here.
- For event information, click here for the Osage Fan Plan.
- If you or someone you know are in need of assistance of any type, please reach out- we have a variety of resources available and/or can connect you with other organizations. Contact us via our Indian Support Hotline at 573-552-8878 or [email protected].
Dr. Laura Nelson